What's The Best Material For A Pre-Engineered Building?
Not many people are familiar with industrial pre-engineered buildings.
But, if you're looking for a convenient, cost-effective alternative to conventional construction, pre-engineered construction is just what you're looking for.
But, what type of building materials are best for this construction style?
Steel has many advantages in construction, and it is the best material to use for a pre-engineered building (PEB).
In the article below, we will discuss why steel is the best building material for a PEB.
Table Of Contents
- What Is Meant By Pre-Engineered?
- Advantages Of Steel For PEBs
- Why Choose Pre-Engineered Steel Buildings?
- Common Uses For A Pre-Engineered Steel Building
- Pre-Engineered Metal Buildings Supplied, Constructed & Designed for your Commercial Construction Project
What Is Meant By Pre-Engineered?
Once the parts are manufactured, they are sent to the construction site to be assembled.
With pre-engineered steel buildings, everything is built off-site in a factory before being delivered to your job site.
These types of buildings are a great alternative to conventional structures.
Advantages Of Steel For PEBs
Faster Construction Time
Since structural steel is made in a factory, you can be sure the components are produced on time without worrying about weather delays.
Construction in the field will always lag behind because the environment isn't as controlled.
Building Information Modeling utilized by STEVENS allows for close cooperation between designers and steel contractors during all phases of steel construction.
BIM technology allows designs to save both time and dollars in the construction process.
The ability for rapid erection in all seasons is achievable with structural steel without sacrificing quality.
Lower Project Costs
Steel frames remain the cost leader for most construction projects.
Studies have shown that a structural steel framing system common in PEBs that includes decking and fire protection typically costs 5% to 7% less than a concrete framing system.
The strength of steel outshines the strength of other building materials.
Structural steel is typically 50 ksi material, meaning the steel has a yield stress of 50,000 pounds per square inch in both compression and tension.
That durability also helps you save on maintenance costs.
Structural steel is the most recycled material on our planet.
Most steel is made of 88% recycled product and is fully recyclable in the future.
It can also be reused without further processing.
All steel can be recycled at the end of its life.
Instead of using land for landfills, steel empties salvage yards allowing that land to be used for other purposes.
Demolition teams often pay for the opportunity to demolish and scrap prefabricated buildings made of steel because of the value of the steel.
Buildings using other materials cost between $3 and $10 per square foot to demolish, scrap, and send to the landfill.
Steel is also one of the most energy-efficient materials.
That energy efficiency helps you save on your utility bills.
Why Choose Pre-Engineered Steel Buildings?
Prefabricated metal building systems have many of the same benefits as structural steel.
Here are just a few.
They Are Flexible And Versatile
PEBs are highly versatile, allowing for more flexibility and customization.
Metal building components can accommodate any design you can dream of.
PEBs can be used for everything from small farm buildings to massive industrial buildings.
And once constructed, you can easily add extra rooms or structures in the future.
That makes PEBs the ideal choice for a growing business with expansion plans.
Another advantage of PEMBs is their safety.
Steel has a natural resistance to rust and corrosion, so pre-engineered metal buildings are a safer building option for many industrial applications.
Steel is a building material that is less likely to give in over time.
Steel is also fire and water-resistant so that it can withstand accidents better than other building types.
They Allow For More Customization
Gone are the days of steel buildings looking like a tin shed.
Today the customization options allow you to keep up with appearances.
Your contractor can add several attachments and components to a metal PEB to customize it according to your needs.
You can customize the windows, trims, parapets, eaves, doors, and more.
No matter what style you prefer, a pre-engineered industrial building can suit your style.
Common Uses For A Pre-Engineered Steel Building
Structural steel buildings can be used for countless building applications.
Here are a few of the most popular.
- Agricultural- Steel is a low-maintenance material perfect for storing agricultural equipment and livestock.
- Commercial- Steel is a sound investment in the long-term success of a building owner. Several layouts can be used to create an attractive commercial steel building to use for many commercial businesses.
- Government- Government budgets are tight with little wiggle room. Prefabricated buildings are a great way to keep costs down. In addition, steel can produce structures ranging from fire stations to public works buildings.
- Warehouses- The clearspan capabilities in pre-engineered building systems allow business owners to design the ideal structure to house their goods. And because of the durability of steel buildings, their goods are protected from elements and pests better than they would be with traditional construction.
- Recreational Sports Facilities- A pre-engineered steel building system is the perfect choice when constructing a sports complex or recreation center. They allow for maximum use of the space and can be expanded in the future to allow for further accommodation.
Pre-Engineered Metal Buildings Supplied, Constructed & Designed for your Commercial Construction Project
The metal building systems team at STEVENS provides advanced Pre-engineered Metal Building Kits to streamline your next steel building project.
Prefab metal building kits have unlimited, customizable options to make yours unique and one-of-a-kind.
This type of structure allows you to tailor your metal building to match your business needs.
With the customization and design options available to you, it's clear to see why you should choose a pre-engineered metal building for your business.
The STEVENS building systems team uses customizable, high-quality pre-engineered metal buildings with industry-leading capabilities and are constructed with American-made, recyclable Nucor steel.
Click the button below to schedule your Free Quote today.